Monday, October 23, 2017

1984
Chapter One:
"In the vast majority of cases there was no trial, no report of the arrest. People simply disappeared always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."


Explanation: I had to read it around two times to understand it. What i got from it was that the thought police was how it relates to the government as of now and the FBI is like that. The point of the thought police is to have everyone controlled and not fall out of place. They must have something hiding because they don't want the people to think about. It seems everyone has to watch out what they say or do. Everyone is defensive in everything they say do or act.

14 comments:

  1. I think that the idea that government control is rooted in our fear of that government is salient. Institutions like the FBI gain almost mythic reputations for what they have the ability to do. I think that it is interesting that the greatest threat that the thought police presented was that of annihilating one's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a crazy world to live in. Where if you didn't abide the rules or didn't agree with Big Brother you will just disappear and there will be no record of you even existing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that the point of the thought police is there to have control of the people and to make sure that everyone obeys the rules. I also think that the thought police is always watching and hearing what people do and if people do something wrong they would disappear like the passage said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The government runs off of fear. Because everyone is afraid, the people are so easily controlled. Due to the giver having so much potential and power to be able to do something, people are afraid to act out out of fear of what could happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate! I constantly had to reread a few passages to understand what they were saying. However I found it shocking how powerful the Thought Police is. The fact that they have access to the surveillance of their citizens is frightening! I agree with the fact that it seems like they do something they’re hiding because people disappear without a trace if they disagree with the government. Like Yahna said, the government uses the citizens fear to better control them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this passage was quite interesting. It's crazy how much power the Thought Police have. I can't ever imagine just never existing in society. It's sad that the citizens must be cautious of their every action. Your response was very straight-foward and honest. I enjoyed the fact that you mention the public and how it impacts them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your explanation is very true! You can barely do anything or not even anything and you can get arrested for no reason. We can disappear in this world like its nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree with how you compared the book to the FBI in the contemporary world, but I do agree that the government in 1984 is definitely hiding something, or else they would not be this strict. I like how you chose the topic regarding thought police, I was actually planning on writing about the same topic in my journal. Unfortunately I felt like I had to talk about other topics, but I'm glad someone actually chose this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that the thought police are there for one reason and that is to keep the power of the government and to make sure that no one EVER thinks about rebellion. To compare it to the FBI though I would actually word in a way that the media uses ways to keep us non informant on issues that are going on in the world. Instead of hearing up world wars we hear about the newest celebrities

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can really agree with who you believe the police is there to control the people. It seems that even in the real world that the police are ruling by fear. There are people that are terrible afraid of the police. Although, I necessarily couldn't say I agree with your statement comparing it to the FBI. I believe tat if we see that there is a restriction to what the government wants us to see and not to see would be a better phrasing of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats no way to live. Just because you say something that does not follow with others say you cease to exist. These people don't have freedom of speech. This is a way of control and keep their communities from falling apart. I like your choice of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOl! Nice meme! I love the connection you made between the situations in the book and situations in real life. In the book, people who spoke against the government where vaporized. In real life, people who find information about the government that they don't want anyone to learn are murdered and there background information is erased. Silencing the freedom of thought and speech is the foregrounds of oppressive government. Selectively suppressing individual thought and speech is equivalent to propaganda and control of the mind. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you. I like how you connected them. It's true the thought police is like the FBI in real life. Where if you find out anything your not suppose to you will be murdered and you will basically not exist. In the book everyone who is doesn't follow the rules are vaporized. Good job.

    ReplyDelete